Friday, February 04, 2011

Old Mother Troll 3/3

Here are the final stages of this piece.

Previous,
Old Mother Troll 1/3

* * *


I gave a the drawing one coat of spray fixative to help keep the pencil in place.


From there I painted. Surprisingly, following the exact wording of the spray fix directions worked perfect. I usually have to deal with some pencil bleeding but I decided to just do it exactly like the can says it was perfect. Pencil didn't move or float at all.




* * *

I have white florescent lights on my desk and they wash out the color in the photographs, the scan (below) is truer to the actual painting.


* * *

From there I began my usual working method of finishing the piece digitally.



* * *


All in all this was a test. A test to see how I might work in oil. I treated the digital stage almost like a test ground for what I will do with the oil. Unfortunately for my curiosity, my deadlines and projects have resumed a more regular, hectic schedule so this test has been put on hold for the time being. I did some similar experiments back during my Alice show, the most successful being the Prologue piece and the Dodo. Basically it's a matter of taking a drawing or watercolor and varnishing it and a variety of other dark magics and then it's ready to paint in oil. So with this working method the digital stage functions as a figuring out stage and I'll then implement them into the more controllable oil arena for the final, final.

Next post, Monday. Scissorhands!

3 comments:

Sadami said...

Dear Cory,
Awesome!! Astonighing! Thank you for sharing the process.
Kind regards, Sadami

Will Terry said...

Corey - This is one of my new favorites of yours. I'm a sucker for dramatic lighting and you got me with this one. Great storytelling! Wonderful piece!

Eugenia Gina said...

this is awesomeee! but truly I like the true scanning version more, it is so warm and colour rich :)