Monday, June 27, 2011

Flight 8 - The Clockmaker's Daughter pt.1


The final edition of Flight will be released this week. I can’t thank Kazu enough for extending to me the invitation to contribute a comic for Flight 6. It’s been an incredibly important part of my life for the past several years. I’m not just being dramatic when I say there will be Flight sized hole in my heart. See, I’ve met some of my favorite people through Flight and had so many opportunities presented to me because of it that I would not have gotten otherwise. I’m grateful for the chance I got to make some stories for it and I’ve loved working on the books. Once again, my thanks to Kazu Kibuishi.

Enough of that. Ok, well first of all, I can not wait to get a printed copy! The stories in this final edition are so good and the art is stunning as ever. I really think everyone stepped it up to give the Flight series the best send off possible. Some of my favorite Flight stories to date are in the book and in my professional estimation, my personal best short story to date. (Though you may be the judge as to whether or not it is successful.)

While the last two years I have consciously focused my personal artistic development on my drawing, working as hard as I can to improve my visual vocabulary and visual storytelling, I still love to write. I can’t express enough how I enjoy the thrill that comes from making up a satisfying story and seeing it through to completion. Especially when you make it through a particularly challenging project.


My story for Flight 8, The Clockmaker’s Daughter was one of those particularly challenging stories for me. It’s one that I wrote a few kernels of ideas several years ago and it’s hard to believe the transformation the story underwent, developing from a simple story of a man who makes nice clocks (with no actual middle or end) to a full on attempt at a real fairy tale with adventure, transformations, and (my personally favorite element of any story) a eucatastrophic ending.

Over the next few days I want to take you through my experience writing the story as well as show you how I went about making it.

From The Clockmaker's Daughter. Finished panel.

_____________________

If you’d like to see my previous stories for Flight you can preview them here.

Flight 6, Walters.

_____________________

Flight 7, Onere and Piccola.



3 comments:

Larry MacDougall said...

Really nice Corey.

Andrew Peterson said...

Great work, Cory. I've been a Flight fan since the beginning, and still geek out that your stories are in there.

Stu Livingston said...

You really hit it out of the park with this story, man! Flight really is something else - gonna miss it!! :')